Sunday, October 24, 2010

Twas a Week b4 Halloween

...and all through the house...not a creature was stirring...because it's cold as hell outside.  Yeah, one of these days, I may have to invest in something other than T-shirts.  The initial thought was that I'd tough out the next month with the clothes I brought from L.A., since I'm on a boat for 6 months and won't have much use for a ski-jacket for at least another 10 months.  Anyways, it's officially cold in Munich...7 degrees Celsius.  Might have to change my plan.

Yeah...I haven't heard anyone talk about Halloween yet.  Not a peep.  I can't figure out if it's just not that big of a deal here, or if it's because we're not in 8th grade anymore, or if it's because none of our friends have kids here, or all of the above.  I think everyone is still recovering from Wies'n (Oktoberfest) and sick of partying all the time...

Speaking of partying...we had a great time last night, at yet another house/birthday party.  This time, it was our friend Alex's turn, and she treated us to some wonderful chili, and Cuba Libre's (image above) , which apparently are high-shelf versions of "rum and coke."  I told everyone I wasn't familiar with the drink due to the States having such a volatile history with Cuba.  It might not be the truth, but at least I don't look like an ass for saying I've never heard of "rum and coke" ('till now).  I have this theory that Germans planned all their pregnancies in the 70's and 80's, staggered in one week intervals, so that their children could grow closer as the years pass.  In Germany, you never say, "man...it's been forever since I've seen 'so-and-so,'" because the same group of friends is passing around the birthday candle on a weekly basis.  I'm not lying...we've been to a birthday party almost once a week!  And there's one next week...ha (sorry Judith...this just proves my point)!

And to keep the party going, Annette and I are considering having our own Thanksgiving here.  I noticed how Germany is HUGE on tradition, and family is a really big deal here (I think even more so than in the midwest)...so why not carry on some of my traditions here too, right?  Either way, it will be a good excuse to have people over to our new place and watch football all night (ok...I may be doing that last part alone).

More random thought of the day:

If you haven't seen Mad Men yet, check it out.  We're on season 4 and it's been the most entertaining series I've seen in awhile.  And, speaking of entertaining, Machete was also a riot!  I think I'm officially a Robert Rodriguez fan!

Tschüss

No comments:

Post a Comment