Friday, February 10, 2012

Friends in 25 Days

I was about to edit an entry I hadn't finished a couple days ago, but instead I found this one still in my "drafts".  Why I never posted it, I don't know, but I'm pretty sure it had something to do with everything that was going on at the time.  It was 2009, and I was about to get my MBA...I was about to leave Blue Man Group, a job that I had always wanted...and I was about to leave Northeastern, a job that I enjoyed, but more so afforded me the further luxuries of being a musician by providing that financial stability that seems to be lacking in too many of our lives.

"Sometimes...no, all the time, it's great to know that you have good friends. I think my friends are pretty decent. They know exactly when to pick me up, and exactly how to show their support. While I don't think it's possible to be a great friend all the time, I think it's important to be a really great friend at least SOME of the time. These are the times that stick out in the minds of anyone to whom you are a friend. They will remind that person that you are a great person to have a beer with. You are a great person to talk about your job with. You are a great person to seek advice from regarding your dreams. You, above all, are just fun!

I am now 25 days from leaving Boston, foreseeably forever, and I am finding it harder and harder to cope with the fact that I have built 10 years of my life around this place. And now, I will be leaving it behind, with hopes for greener pastures...with hopes of fulfilling that "rite of passage" that all musicians must take...the inevitable trip to Los Angeles. Whether I'm successful or not, I know I must do this just to try it, if for nothing else. But...I love my friends here. I will miss all that they do for me. I will miss their laughter and I will miss the..."

And, that last sentence portrays perfectly how I still feel about Boston.  Like I have some unfinished business there.  I do not regret my decisions since then, and without having taken this giant step I may have never realized that Germany makes more sense for my heart.  But, I hope someday to return...and I still miss you all!

Damion

No comments:

Post a Comment